SwitchMed Connect 2015 sustainable event
The Centre de Cultura Contemporània de Barcelona (CCCB) is the venue for SwitchMed Connect 2015:
Most spaces are prepared for attending people with disabilities.
CCCB is placed at the center of the city, very well connected to the public transport network.
CCCB counts with a good supply of energy, there is no need to use additional generators.
CCCB has light dimmers and detectors in the newest parts of the building.
Temperature inside the CCCB rooms is controlled and properly maintained.
Energy efficient LED lighting is used on the CCCB stage.
Azafran is in charge of the catering for SwitchMed Connect 2015:
- The food served is seasonal, ecological and local. The caterers have their own gardens near Barcelona to get KM0 slow food raw materials .
- No food will be wasted. The amount of food will be calculated according to attendees (through the registration form at the website).
- Leftover food will be donated to a soup kitchen
- Dietary habits and restrictions from attendees such as allergies or intolerances (gluten, shellfish, etc.), habits (vegetarian, veganism) and cultural issues (kosher, halal, etc.) are considered.
- Some of the food will be offered in individual glass pods but the most part of it will be offered in trays.
- Steel cutlery and ceramic crockery will be used in order to reduce the garbage
Materials and Waste
- There will be selective collection points installed for each waste fraction (containers for each type of waste) during assembly, disassembly and the development of the event.
- There will be some training or briefing for workers (both internal and external) on how to deposit the waste and the importance of doing it correctly.
- There will be a proper signing of the selective collection points to avoid waste mixtures.
- Minimal use of paper will be promoted through measures such as:
There will be no literature and no printed programs or leaflets, all the information will be available on the event app.
- Production of reusable gobos
- Furniture is on rental use, so the rental enterprise keeps it for future events.
- Backdrops will be disassembled and saved into storages for future events.
The printed tarpaulins will be used for doing bags.
Socioeconomic development of the event and other issues
The purchase of materials and products manufactured or distributed locally will be prioritized . All the materials are from Catalonia or Spain.
Providers are from Barcelona and surroundings.
Assessment of the attendees satisfaction regarding the sustainability measures will be applied to the event (on-line checklist).
The carbon footprint generated by transport of materials will be measured and compensated.
Because we are proud of the sustainability efforts, we want to inform our guests and attendees about our commitment to environmental sustainability.
We are guided by the principles of Sustainable Development requiring the effective integration of economic, social and environmental considerations in decision-making processes. Event activities organised by the parties provide an opportunity to embrace and promote sustainable development through design and implementation decisions and attendee and broader stakeholder experiences. The principles embraced for this Event Sustainability Policy include:
Considering the many interconnections between economy, society and the environment
Understanding the limits of natural resources in event management
Application of the precautionary principle in decision-making
The inclusion of environmental and social factors in evaluating goods and services
Supporting the equal distribution of resources and opportunities
“This information has been developed with the support from LOOM